Hemp has been increasingly introduced into clothing over the last several years. Known for its durability, hemp was once only available in large diameter, course fibers. The material has since evolved and is now available in much smaller diameters. The result is finer fibers which can be used in a number of fashion applications. New hemp materials are now used to manufacturer purses, backpacks, apparel and even shoes. Though hemp is gaining in market share, there is little information on how to clean and maintain products made from the material.
How Do I Clean Hemp Shoes?
Cleaning hemp shoes is not difficult, but does require a certain amount of care. Otherwise, the material may be ruined. To properly clean hemp shoes, follow the directions below:
1) Brush off your hemp shoes with a gentle bristle brush, knocking off dirt and debris. Do not scrub your hemp shoes with the brush to avoid damage.
2) Set your washer on the “Gentle” cycle. Use warm or cold water, whichever is recommended by the manufacturer.
3) Select a mild detergent. Use an eco-friendly clothing detergent for best results.
4) Allow the hemp shoes to go through the shortest cycle on your washer.
5) Remove the shoes after the cycle and allow to air dry out of the sun. Ultra violet light may cause color fade in the hemp fibers to occur.